Monday 2 March 2009

March - what's in season?

I think most of us would agree that to some extent we all cook and eat seasonally. Soups, stews and casseroles feature heavily on the menu in both restaurants and homes around the country in winter, where as in summer we all crave something lighter. I have decided to make an effort to take this further and at the start of each month look in to what is in season that month and try to incorporate seasonal food in to my meal planning. I hope this will not only lead to cheaper, more nutritious and tasty food but also encourage me to try different things. So I won't waffle on about the benefits of eating seasonally as there are many good books and websites out there that can explain it better than me.

Sites I have used to put this list together:

River cottage seasonal guide - The Guardian
Eat the seasons

March

Vegetables: Purple sprouting broccoli, cabbages, chicory, spring and winter greens, cauliflower, celeriac, spring onions and leeks

Fruit: forced rhubarb, watercress, nettles, (bananas, blood oranges, kiwi fruits, lemons, oranges, pineapple, pomegranates)

Seafood: cockles, wild salmon, crab, pollack, oysters, sea trout, hake, john dory, lemon sole, mussels

Meat: Hare

I have to say I'm not feeling that inspired by this months offerings but I am determined to try purple sprouting broccoli this year (I don't like normal broccoli but I will give it a try anyway). Leek will be on the menu as it has been regularly all winter and I will also try getting some watercress and possibly rhubarb in to our diet this month. With this in mind I'll be off to look through some cookbooks for further inspiration!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: