Friday 1 January 2010

Whats in season - January

Happy new year!

My first post of 2010 is a whats in season guide to January. January is the heart of the winter months. It's cold and often snowy so comforting pies and stews are often on the menu. Christmas has led most of us to over indulging and the new year for many brings new years resolutions to eat healthy, lose weight or to eat more seasonally. So I figured today I would continue my whats in season series and also sit down with new and old favorite cook books to plan some comforting, seasonal and healthy meals for the next month.

I compiled this list using:
Eat the seasons
The river cottage year, Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall
River cottage seasonal guide - The Guardian
What's in season?


January


Vegetables: Beetroot, Brussels sprouts, Brussels tops, cabbage (red, white and various greens), carrots, cauliflower, celeriac, celery, chicory, greens (spring and winter), Jerusalem artichokes, kale, leeks, onions, parsnips, potatoes, purple sprouting broccoli, shallots, swede, turnip

Fruit: apples, pears, forced rhubarb, mandarins, oranges, satsumas, tangerines, Seville orange, blood oranges, pomegranate

Fish: cockles, cod, crab, mackerel, mussels, oysters, pollack, salmon, scallops, whiting

Game: Duck, hare, partridge, pheasant, venison

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Chele said...

Hi Claire. I've just been given an award for my blog and am now passing it on to you as one of my favourite blogs. To collect the award go to my blog ;0)

Shaheen said...

Hi Claire,
HFW and his River Cottage books have been really inspirational for me. I have an allotment plot and for the past couple of years have attempted to eat with the seasons. 9 months out of the 12 I succeed, but the others like now, I tend to lapse. So I am pleased to read this and applaud your NY resolutions.